This week I went on a pantry raid and found that I had a jar of Kitchens of India Rich Cashew & Cumin Cooking Sauce and I had a bunch of vegetables that needed cooking. The jar recommended paring with steamed rice (which I already had on hand) and naan bread (which I will be making soon but I haven’t gotten all the ingredients for it yet) so I paired it with sweet corn bread mix (I thought the sweet and spicy would work well together). Here’s what came from it:
3 medium carrots
1 large Idaho potato
9 ounces of mushrooms
1 15 ounce can of black beans
1 12.2 oz jar of Kitchens of India Rich Cashew & Cumin Cooking Sauce
6 cups water
Cut carrots into quarter pieces.
Rinse mushrooms (yes I know many of you will say “omg why?!” but here’s a few cases for rinsing them rather than brushing them (better method of cooking mushrooms and a case study for washing v. brushing mushrooms)
Boil potato (whole) with carrots in water for around 10-15 minutes (I like to use this methodfor checking potato for doneness)
Drop carrots and potato in ice water to stop cooking for about 3 minutes.
After potato has cooled enough to touch use this method to peel potato.
Cube potato into bite size pieces
Drain and rinse black beans.
Heat skillet with 2 table spoons of oil and add carrots, mushrooms, potatos and saute vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
Add jar of Kitchens of India Rich Cashew & Cumin Cooking Sauce and bring to boil then let simmer for around 15 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are desired texture.
And voila, with rice should yield about 6-8 servings.
- The Vegan Experience: How to Stock a Vegan Pantry (seriouseats.com)
- Results of Our 1st Annual Moz Chili Cook-off (seomoz.org)
- Cornbread and Pinto Bean Pot Pies (thefitlifejournal.wordpress.com)
- Home Cooking- Japanese Vegetable Curry Udon (mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean Burgers (livingtoeatvegan.wordpress.com)
- Indian Sprouted Mung Bean Stew with Greens (tastespace.wordpress.com)
- Stir fried Sweet Potato & Cashew Nuts (whatscookingmum.wordpress.com)
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins (wherefloursbloom.com)
- Home Cooking- Potato Rosti with Mushroom Rag Out (mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie (thehealthylifeexperience.wordpress.com)